I was a happy user of the first model Apple TV. Then the iTunes ecosystem grew bigger and bigger. On top of that the new Apple TV is cloud- or network-based only. Not all my music can be found in the cloud, and I prefer it nearby, i.e. without the need of access to some NAS or other PC in the network. So I switched to a Raspberry Pi model 2B and 500GB harddisk in combination with Kodi.
Recently I upgraded this box with the model 3 Pi. Here follows the configuration.
- Raspberry Pi 3
- Adafruit 1.3″ OLED Display
- HiFiBerry CAD+ board
- USB Harddisk 500GB
- Harddrive cable: USB 3.0 left angle to USB
- Logitech K400 Wireless touch keyboard
- PCB for Ethernet socket (to extend from RPi to backside)
- PCB for triple function pushbutton
- perspex/plexiglass screen for the OLED display